Materials for the PhD course Visualisation and Statistical Analysis held in the Faculty of Languages, Uppsala University, Autumn Term 2018.
Week 1 (2018-09-24)
- Slides (from your browser, press key ‘f’ for fullscreen, ‘w’ for wide format)
- Revise the notebook from the session, and finish up the final session (vectors). A good way to work is to read through and predict what will happen in each chunk before running it.
- Then do the homework exercises. The main two parts are (i) working out how to install a package (a collection of special functions that work together), and (ii) writing functions to encapsulate a sequence of commands to carry out a particular…. function.
- Read Wilson et al. 2017 and prepare a question or comment.
Week 2 (2018-10-01)
- Revise the Notes (download these and open them with RStudio)
- Then do the homework exercises at the end of the markdown document. This has two parts:
- Wrangling the Kelly data from Språkbanken — try to read this data into R after exporting it from excel. It’ll require some manual fiddling
- Writing a more complex function with lots of potential arguments
- Next week we start doing something interesting with the Kelly data
Week 3 (2018-10-08) Data Structures and plotting
Week 4 (2018-10-15) Data wrangling